UPDATE: Download latest here.
You know when you are a kid you have to eat your green vegetables before you are allowed to eat your chips (fries) and all that before you get dessert? It is a sequence in life — first good-but-nasty, then ok stuff, and finally fun things you really want.
Well for programmers the sequence is:
- Fix the bugs (Greens)
- Implement obvious useful but boring features (Chips)
- Add the fantastic new ideas you just had in the shower (Ice Cream)
So welcome to DIYPhotobits.com Camera Control 2.1 – the Greens release!
This fixes inumerable small bugs — nothing earth shattering but some annoying things have been fixed.
- Error on duplicate download of images is fixed
- Default file location is now My Pictures to avoid the issue of the default location not existing
- Exposure Compensation drop down now shows proper stop values
- Shutter, Aperture, ISO, WB and Exposure Comp drop down boxes initiate to the value on the camera intead of meaningless defaults.
- It doesn’t make a temp directory any more
- Battery meter works all the time, not just when tethering
New limitation discovered
- Due to the way WIA is working if you want to be able to control shutter and exposure from the PC you must start up with the camera in M mode. It isn’t good enough to switch to that later after starting up in another mode.
That’s all for now — I’ve already spent most of the day doing this while I should have been working!
Meanwhile I can go back to dreaming about the ice cream — bracketing, time lapse etc…
64 Replies to “DIYPhotobits.com Camera Control 2.1 – Greens”
Thanks for the prompt response. It does not lockup without downloading. Tried downloading both jpg & nef, didn’t seem to make any difference. I was downloading the files to unique folder under SAM’S FILES
By the way I’m using ver 3.1
Sam, try downloading to C:\tethered and see if that makes a difference.
Not sure if anyone has tried this, and thought I would ask before burning to many cycles doing the impossible.
I have an intel based Macbook Pro that I run XP Sp3 using VMWARE Fusion under OSx 10.5.7
Any idea if this will work?
I also got problems with the size of the preview (XP, D8O), it doesn’t change size and stays at 150 PX.
Rev hast the same problem, but nobody answered his question as far as I know:
rev // Dec 9, 2008 at 4:44 am
OS: XP professional service pack 3
one slight problem
When I push the button on the camera to take a picture it sends the file to the computer but the size of the preview is small. I have changed the preview size but it does not give me a larger image. I want to be able to take a picture using the camera and see it on the computer
Frank, sorry to say I can’t yet imagine what could cause this problem! I’ll think about it though.
I find it myself:
The preview size was hardcoded:
previewImg.innerHTML = “
I changed the width 300 to:
ddPreviewSize.value + ”
previewImg.innerHTML = “ ”
That’s it. And now everything works fine.
Thanks for your great software. 🙂
Oh, I see “no code allowed”, so just search for “width” find the 300 and change it to:
” + ddPreviewSize.value + ”
Frank, thanks so much! I feel so stupid. 🙁 I’ll fix that in future downloads.
Adobe Lightroom 3 BETA now includes a tethered capture feature.
It does not leave the image on the card, but writes it directly to the hard disk.
Will that affect development of this program?